Americans love their ice cream, consuming about 30 liters per person a year. From "jimmies" to hot fudge, it is the toppings that really are the cherry on top of this multi-billion dollar industry.
Once upon a time, an ice cream shop customer only had a couple of choices if they wanted to add a topping to their favorite frozen dessert. Now there are almost as many frozen dessert topping options as there are flavors of this special frozen treat.
Top 10 most popular toppings
1. Hot Fudge - this classic topping is still number one according to most consumers. Warm, gooey chocolate dripping over your favorite frozen treat flavor - what's not to love?
2. Caramel - There must be something about the contrast between the ice-cold dessert and a warm, sweet topping because caramel came in a close second to hot fudge.
3. Oreo cookie crumbles - that's the way the cookie crumbles. Oreo crumbs, more than any other cookie topping, are a favorite topping of both the young and old.
4. M&Ms - a less messy way to get tasty chocolate on your dessert.
5. Whipped Cream - you can't have a hot fudge sundae without topping it with whipped cream. A lot of people like to top their milkshakes off with whipped cream as well.
6. Sprinkles - whether rainbow sprinkles or chocolate sprinkles (sometimes called jimmies) this is a favorite ice cream topping of young children.
7. Peanut butter Cups - as if peanut butter and chocolate alone weren't delicious enough, added to a scoop frozen dessert, it become one of the most popular ice cream toppings.
8. Chocolate Chips - White or dark chocolate, sprinkled over the top or stirred in, chocolate chips are an easy choice for favorite topping.
9. Strawberry sauce - Poured over the top of vanilla ice cream, this topping tastes almost like fresh strawberry pie.
10. Cherry - what would a hot fudge sundae or whipped cream topped milkshake be without this quintessential ice cream topping?
What Does it Cost to Start an Ice Cream Business?
If you are thinking of opening up a neighborhood frozen dessert shop, knowing what topping choices to offer your customers is a bit of knowledge that can help your new business venture be that much more successful. But, knowing how much rent, labor, machines, and other expenses like, toppings will cost is what you really need to investigate before starting out on this new venture!
Having an industry specific business plan that will spell out the details down to the flavors of the dessert and toppings you should offer in your shop is important to your new business' success. A well-researched business plan can get you started on the road to success. However, if doing this tasks is out of your comfort zone, consider getting an ice cream business plan template that you can easily customize to fit your needs.
Source by M McHale